Happy Foodie Friday! It’s been a busy couple of weeks here, but there’s always time for food!!
As a 29-ish year old adult, I’ve hit that threshold where it is (generally) no longer socially acceptable to bring a 30 pack and a bag of Doritos to a party and have that count as “food.” I recently attended a get together where the hostess had asked everyone to bring an appetizer to share. Of course, my mind immediately flashed to images of ornate, hand crafted hors d’oeuvres from Pinterest that would be on par with a proper Martha Stewart inspired party (read: place cards and monogrammed favors).
Not having the time (or energy…let’s be honest. But time is a huge chunk, too. Like Sweet Brown said, “ain’t nobody got time for that!”) to risk something that could be used as the perfect #PinterestFail submission, I pulled this delicious nugget out from my recipe vault and voila! A healthy snack that was easy to make and easy to enjoy!
So here it is…Black Bean Hummus!
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium black beans; drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 10 Greek olives (optional)
- Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor (using pre-minced garlic also works well).
- Add black beans, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Process until smooth, scraping sides as needed.
- Add additional seasonings to taste. Garnish with paprika and Greek olives.
The flavor of this hummus is a great change up from the regular chickpea blend. It is nicely balanced, while the texture is creamy and perfect to use as a dip. I prefer to pair mine with baby carrots and pita bread. I also opted to omit the Greek olives – no offense to the olives, but I’ve never cared for the taste.
Another wonderful thing about making your own hummus is YOU get to control the flavor. Like some extra spice? Add more cayenne pepper. More lemon juice? No problem! Serving kids as well? Split the batch up and leave them with a tamer flavoring while treating yourself to a specialty snack.
We’d love to know what you added to the mix to customize this delicious dish! Post your comments or send us a photo of your creation. You never know, you may be featured on the blog!
Have a great weekend!